PJ Note: Today, I’m handing the mantle off to my good friends from Blerdology. Blerdology is a tech social enterprise helping to increase the number of African Americans in technology. They’ll be helping minority entrepreneurs build new apps and websites at their EA sponsored, entertainment themed hackathon “#blackhack Hollywood” at SXSW this week.
The term “blerd” may beÂ en vogue right now, but the truth is, we’ve been around longer than Uhura ( non-trekkies just stay with us for a minute). Blerds are sort of like quinoa: folks were eating it long before they started selling it at Whole Foods. And, just like quinoa, blerds are good for you, if you approach them the right way. While there are a lot of variations of a blerd, some things are pretty standard for the general blerd population. We love tech. We’re likely into sci-fi. We’ve played a video game or two. And we fancy ourselves intellectuals. And, like everybody else, we love to be in love. So, if you think smart is sexy and want to cuddle up to the blerd in your life, here are a few tips to stoke the fires of #blerdlove.
1. Carry a wifi hotspot. No blerd can be without the net for too long and if you offer more connectivity than AT&T, you’re in. Your reliable service shows you’re consistent. Your secure network offers the safety and security that every blerd seeks in a relationship. Not only that, but sharing a private password in a public place is very sexy.
2. Expect them to live-tweet your dates. Blerds live on Twitter. All of a blerd’s friends are on Twitter. Many of the people a blerd talks to the most they’ve only met on Twitter. Your life will be lived out on Twitter. Deal with it. Better yet, tweet about it. And while you’re at it, write everything with a #hashtag. Want bonus points? RT your blerd’s blog posts (yes, your blerd has a blog), #FF them on a regular basis, and don’t get into any twitter discussions with @bigboobscarly.
3. Download an app like Kahnoodle or Avocado. Blerds love apps and using your iPhone to boost your relationship is meeting them where they live. Relationship apps let you share a private space in the cloud where you can monitor your “love tank” (Kahnoodle), set up special dates and even share grocery lists. Because sending private messages, sharing lovey-dovey instagram photos and swapping Google calendars is the best way to prove to the blerd in your life that you’re in this for the long-haul.
4. Buy midnight tickets to Star Wars, The Hobbit, and basically any other sci-fi, fantasy or comic-book based film. And then pretend to like it. Or better yet, actually do like it. These things will become a part of your life, you may as well get used to it now. If you’re not willing to sit through a long explanation of why Martha is the best Who girl (she’s black and saved the world all by herself) and have no idea who Joss Whedon is, you may not get very far in this relationship.
5. Read. A book. A magazine. VSB. Anything, just read. Blerds are smart, and proud of it. You won’t get very far if all you read are the scrolling headlines on ESPN. Keeping up (and having an opinion about) world events, from the State of the Union to Olivia Pope’s latest mishap, are a blerd requirement. Blerds are engaged with the world on a very active level and you’ll have to be too if you want to keep their interest.
6. Take a class together. Whether it’s a MOOC (Massively Open Online Course. See, ie. Coursera), a coding course (Codecademy) or even a local cooking or photography class, make an effort to take one together. Blerds are lifelong leaners and we love learning with someone special. Showing that you’re open to learning new things and challenging yourself will show a blerd that you’re someone who will be interesting and exciting for years to come.
7. Take them outside. Blerds live online and spend most of their time coding in dark basements, watching TV, and/while tweeting. Days can go by without stepping outside and weeks, months or years can go by without them exercising. Vegetables are often forgone in favor of cheez-its and gummi bears. Take a blerd to the beach, on a hike, or even just to stand in line at Chipotle. They’ll appreciate the fresh air, and no one can say no to Chipotle.
There’s no love like #blerdlove and if you’re lucky you’ll find someone who’s smart, sexy and always down for a Battlestar Galatica marathon. Whether you’re dating a #blerdgirl who not-so-secretly wants to be Zoe from Firefly and definitely-secretly wants to be swept off her feet in a Pretty Womanesque romantic gesture, or a #blerdguy who wants a gamer girl to play Halo with and wants the chance to wear a bowtie and feel like James Bond meets Sidney Poitier, decoding their binary love language could lead you to time of your life!
So, are you a blerd? And what are other important things to note when dating a blerd?
~kat calvin (@blerdology) and brandon andrews (@TeamBMichael), #blerds