There You Go Telling Me No Again.
For today’s edition of Friday Fun I thought I’d really have fun with this. Two Friday’s ago we had a freestyle battle and that was entertaining but everybody doesn’t have rap skills. But you know what everybody does have?
An opinion. Let us begin.
By now, most of you realize that I’m a big music person. I litter posts with numerous musical references and wonder who will pick them up. I have named a good percentage of each of my posts using song titles. And it seems that a good majority of our commenters (and probably lurkers alike..we’ll test this today) have an affinity for music. My affinity for music has led to some of the most climactic debates of all time. On my old blog I actually decided to take on the age old question of:
What’s the best Jodeci song of all time?
I took that question to the streets of DC and got all kinds of responses. I think that “Freek-N-U” is the best Jodeci song of all time but I got nearly every song in their catalog at least once though I’m pretty sure that “Come and Talk To Me” prevailed (though an argument could be made for any of the first 6 songs on Diary of A Mad Band). I’d actually like your take on that, but that’s not what today’s debate is going to be about.
Oh no. We’re going to Debo that one and take it a step further. You see, The Champ and I have decided to make this here blog relationship-centric. And despite the myriad explanations of us gangsta’s on this site about how we refuse to pander to the p***y, the fact is, 99 percent of us are tricking, and the other 1 percent doesn’t even realize it. By the way, there’s a 100 percent margin of error on that last statistic.
Even though me and the rest of the men on this site are some straight G’s, the R&B world has been littered with men who were much less than G’s – men who would get down on bended knee when their river ran dry and proclaimed that they’d make love to you, how you want them too. Hell, they’d even hold you tight, all through the night.
You know who I’m talking about – the begging arse ninjas who couldn’t help but to give women the sun, the rain, the stars, the moon, and the mountains. Which led me to this question:
Who was the most begging arse ninja out there?
The easy money is on Keith Sweat but truly, I’m not sure if that’s accurate. Babyface was one begging mofo. Hell, do you REMEMBER the words to the song “Ready or Not”? Or what about “When Can I See You Again?”
Aaron Hall? He was a beggar too. Coincidentally, he begged R. Kelly for his style back but R. Kelly just pissed on him.
Johnny Gill? Gay, but a beggar nonetheless. Hell, New Edition were all some begging dudes. Is this the end? Yes Ralph, it was.
To tell the truth, the entire male R&B genre of the late 80’s and early 90’s was an ode to men who just couldn’t get enough of that good lovin’ and didn’t care who knew about it. Sensitivity, anyone?
So there it is ladies and gentlemen, for today’s edition of Friday Fun, who was the most begging arse singer? Lay out the argument. All of you are music aficionados today. Put some Lisa Lisa & The Cult Jam on your iPod, max and relax, tap into your music selection of the glory years and put somebody on blast.
Dom dom didday!
And while we’re at it…what IS the best Jodeci song?
I fully expect lurkers to chime in today. You have an opinion. Sharing is caring.
(And by the way, Bobby Brown’s Don’t Be Cruel is the best R&B album EVER with the only possible arguments being Michael Jackson’s Thriller and Off The Wall, though I consider them straight pop albums. You can argue with me on this, but you will be wrong.)
-VSB P aka THE ARSONIST aka TANGLE JIG P
PS Happy 3-day weekend for those who get Columbus Day off. Yay gov’t employment.