It happens at least once a season. Someone on a few high profile blogs or websites will state their particular take about the whole “women are attracted to assholes” thing, and, as was seen last week atÂ Jezebel,Â The National Review,Â Male Fide, andÂ Chateau Heartiste, each of the (combined) thousands of responses these articles will generate will fit into one of eight categories.
1. Women usingÂ anecdotalÂ evidence to deny that women are attracted to assholes.Â
2. Women saying that it is true…for young women and stupid women. Mature women don’t Â fall for the same tricks
3. Women saying “It’s not that we like assholes, it’s just that “nice” guys are usually assholes in disguise. So, why not just deal with the real thing?”
4. WomenÂ reluctantlyÂ agreeing with the theory that asshole men are generally more attractive to women, and cursing God for giving them suchÂ predictableÂ vaginas
5. Women happily agreeing that it’s true that women are into jerks.Â
6. Men usingÂ anecdotalÂ evidence to state that assholes don’t win. (i.e. “I’m a nice guy, and I stay swimming in ass, yo.“)
7. Men stating that assholes do win, and also saying that any woman (or man) who doesn’t agree is being dishonest.
8. Men stating that assholes win, and using this info as proof that women are generally f*cked up people, and also using it as an excuse for why their lame ass hasn’t gotten any p*ssy since Big P*ssy was still alive on “The Sopranos”
Where do I stand in all of this? While I don’t think that women are inherently attracted to assholes per se, I do believe that many of the characteristics that turn women’s panties into Niagara Falls happen to be possessed in abundance by men who happen to be assholes.
I do not think this is aÂ coincidence, though. Men (and women) who happen to be at the top of the food chain are given more asshole-leeway. A 10 can get away with more sh*t than a 7 can. Also, since they’re used to people treating them like they’re the sh*t, they possess less incentive not to be assholes.
It’s funny, though. A part of meÂ wants to believe that not being as asshole is the way to go, but bothÂ anecdotal and observational evidence doesn’t agree with that. Even from my own personal experience, I’ve found that being me, but an aloof, distant, apathetic, and (somewhat) mysterious meÂ does actually work better than being an open and, dare I say it, “nice” me.
Anyway, that’s enough from me today. People of VSB.com, how exactly do you feel about the theory that women are generally attracted to assholes? Also, which one of the eight are you?
—Damon Young (aka “The Champ”)